The Criminal Code Of The Russian FederationAdopted by the State Duma on May 24, 1996
Adopted by the Federation Council on June 5, 1996
Federal Law No. 64-FZ of June 13, 1996 on the Enforcement of the Criminal
Code of the Russian Federation
Chapter 1. The Tasks and Principles of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation
Article 1. The Criminal Law of the Russian Federation
1. The criminal Law of the Russian Federation consists of the present Code. New laws providing for criminal responsibility are subject to inclusion in the present Code.
2. The present Code is based on the Constitution of the Russian Federation and the generally recognized principles and norms of international law.
Article 2. The Tasks of the Criminal Code of the Russian Federation
1. The tasks of the present Code are as follows: the protection of the rights and freedoms of man and citizen, property, public order and public security, the environment, and the constitutional system of the Russian Federation against criminal encroachment, the maintenance of peace and security of mankind, and also the prevention of crimes.
2. To accomplish these tasks, the present Code establishes the ground and principles of criminal responsibility, defines which deeds are recognized as offences dangerous to persons, society, or the State, and establishes the types of punishment and other penal measures for the commission of offences.
Article 3. The Principle of Legality
1. The criminality of a deed, and also its punishability and other legal consequences shall be determined by the present Code alone.
2. The application of a criminal law by analogy shall not be allowed.
Article 4. The Principle of Equality of Individuals Before the Law
Persons who have committed crimes shall be equal before the Law and shall be brought to criminal responsibility, regardless of their sex, race, nationality, language, origin, property and official status, place of residence, attitude to religion, convictions, belonging to public associations, or other circumstances.
Article 5. The Principle of Guilt
1. A person shall be brought to criminal responsibility only for those socially dangerous actions (inaction) and socially dangerous consequences in respect of which his guilt has been established.
2. Objective imputation, that is criminal responsibility for innocent injury, shall not be allowed.
Article 6. The Principle of Justice
1. Punishment and other legal measures applicable to a person who has committed an offence shall be just, that is, they shall correspond to the character and degree of the social danger of the offence, the circumstances of its commission, and the personality of the guilty party.
2. No one may bear double criminal jeopardize for one and the same crime.
Article 7. The Principle of Humanism
1. The criminal legal of the Russian Federation shall ensure the safety of man.
2. Punishment and other legal measures applicable to a person who has committed a crime may not pursue the aim of causing physical suffering or debasement of human dignity.
Article 8. Grounds for Criminal Responsibility
The commission of a deed containing all the elements of a crime, provided for by this Code, shall be the grounds for criminal responsibility.
Copyright © 2000 Open LLC